3rd Annual OC Parks Wilderness Celebration in the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks
Celebrate the third anniversary of OC Parks Irvine Ranch Open Space. This annual event will feature self-guided hiking and biking, along with a recognition ceremony and docent-led hikes. After refreshments and a visit to the community partner fair, explore historic Black Star Canyon and trails in Baker Canyon.
This stunning area is known for soaring sandstone cliffs, Red-tailed hawks flying overhead, and majestic panoramas of the Santa Ana Mountains, as well as diverse sage scrub and chaparral habitats with many rare species of plants and animals. Routes of varying levels of distance and difficulty will be open, including scenic trail loops. Kids can hit the trails, too, with a wilderness-themed craft area and nature loop walk.
Pre-registration is encouraged and will save you time the day of the event.
• Dogs are prohibited. No matter how cute yours may be, by nature dogs are predators; their presence and their lingering scent disturb the indigenous wildlife and disrupt vital routines long after a dog has left the area.
• Trail users are allowed to enter the wilderness trails up until noon, at which time registration will close. OC Park Rangers require all trails to be cleared for closure by 1:00pm.
• Minors, ages 18 and under, must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
• Unlike other IRC programs, on-site registration is available the day of the event.
• Adult mountain bikers and equestrians are requested to wear helmets. Minors are required to wear helmets per state law.
• Inclement weather or fire danger will cause the program to be cancelled.
• To minimize the human impact on wildlife and their habitat, there may be unannounced trail closures or the rotation of areas being open and closed. This is an adaptive management approach to accommodate both the human users and the wildlife needs.Dogs are not permitted at this event. Pets are never permitted in the Irvine Ranch Open Space, for both the safety of your pet and local wildlife.
Parking is limited. Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
All participants MUST check in and complete their registration at the Black Star Staging Area prior to accessing the trail system. If you are found to be on the trails without a day use pass you will be immediately directed back to the staging area.
Trail routes vary in distance and level of difficulty. Please plan accordingly. Choices range from easy 30-minute walks to strenuous 7+-mile cardio hikes.
Participants are required to stay on designated trails at all times. In addition to being a rare and sensitive habit, the Irvine Ranch Open Space is under strict protection. There are often unseen dangers just off-trail including, but not limited to: mountain lions, poison oak, ticks, poisonous spiders, and venomous snakes. OC Rangers may issue citations for visitors found off-trail.